Monday, July 30, 2007

A New Floor?

My inlaws' neighbor passed away. He was a flooring salesman, only 60 yrs old, a smoker with throat cancer.

He left some tile samples in his yard, along with a pile of patio pavers and some lumber. We were told to help ourselves.

Now, all of a sudden, I have materials for:

The main path through our garden

Our dining room floor

A building project of some sort (shelving? a bed?)

It's the floor I can't stop thinking about. I know this is a crazy idea. I know that tiling a floor is a lot of hard work, and tiling one like a crazy patchwork quilt might be even harder, and I also know that it would probably have to be redone in order to sell the house, when the time comes for that (hopefully 20 yrs or more down the road!). But I don't think I can resist! Some times in life, one must do the thing that one is compelled to do.

I laid the tiles out in the backyard to get a look at them. They are various sizes and various colors. And they seem to be all the same thickness. They are mostly earth-tones, with some blue-grays (and one brighter blue which might get excluded from this project). Now, this is not enough tile to cover our dining room floor. We'll have to buy another 60 sq ft or so, and that will have to wait since we don't have money for that at the moment. It will be funky, for certain. But, as Steven says, it'll be better than the ugly, stained, worn out carpet that's there now! Amen to that.

No comments: